Monday 17 January 2011

WeeTrees Group Planting Challenge

The WeeTrees Bonsai Forum have organised another challenge for the start of 2011. This challenge will be to produce a group planting from scratch. There is no restrictions on material that can be used and it is set up as a learning experience for all of the members to bounce ideas off of one another. Having never put together a group planting myself I am trying to keep my entry as simple as possible and only using 3 trees (the minimum to constitute a group planting).

So off I went to some garden centres to source some suitable material, this proved harder than I expected. In the end I settled for 3 small Prunus Incisa 'Kojo No Mai', I have seen these used in group plantings before and they look very effective, whilst at the same time offering the added bonus of beautiful little blossoms. I selected the trees to be used in my group on individual merits, almost as if each tree would be a single bonsai in it's own pot. I felt I should do this in order to attempt to get the tree with the best qualities and most potential. So here is the material I have now at the start. The challenge runs untill May, so I will update with progress regularly.




No comments: