Monday 8 November 2010

Maple Air-layer update

So I was tidying around some of my trees over the weekend, and I couldn't resist having a look inside the air-layer I have previously mentioned on here. I thought, I may as well check before I go to the trouble of wrapping it up and protecting it over the coming winter months. So I began to unwrap the plastic covering, and as I did so, my worst fears were realised. It appears the layer has been unsuccessful, as underneath the layers of plastic and moss, there were no roots, but an abundance of callus material and healed over cambium at the layer site. All I can attribute to this is that, when I originally did the layer, I did not fully remove all of the cambium layer, and so it has been able to heal. I cannot say that I am not disappointed by this, but on a plus, it is of no real issue to the tree, it is still perfectly healthy. All this means is that instead of being able to remove the top of the tree next Spring, I will have to recut the layer, probably in April/May, and wait again. I feel this is another positive on the virtues of airlayers as a way of propagation, as it can be seen that even if it is unsuccessful, you get a second chance. Something that is impossible, with say, cuttings. Anyway, a slight set back but not a major one. It has served more in a lesson of attention to detail, and less haste to get things done.

No comments: