Monday 8 November 2010

Selecting Material for Bonsai

Since I started growing bonsai, probably my single biggest source of both frustration and disappointment has been related to the material. For the first couple of years I was determined to create masterpieces out of completely unsuitable material aka "stick in a pot". This could only lead in one direction, that of frustration and eventual disenchantment with the hobby. I believe I have now come out of the other side of this time period, and feel a lot more realistic now when looking at potential material for use as bonsai. I mainly became frustrated with my benches being filled with very juvenile plants decades away from anything near "bonsai". This is not to say that this juvenile stock should be avoided, I do see it as a very cheap way to gain species to work on, but only if you don't mind waiting and are realistic about how to grow them in the mean time. On forums especially, I see countless new people to the hobby looking for help with either growing trees from seed or from very young plants, and countless more experienced members giving them a reality check. As a beginner myself, I can see now that, whilst it is fine to grow young trees, it is important for you to have something a little more established to work on in the mean time, so as to keep your interest in the hobby.

There has been a lot of talk recently on the Weetrees forum about this subject and some very useful criteria set out. This is helpful to new people to the hobby, to avoid the frustrations which many people suffer. This said, my problem has always been lack of disposable income, and in general, older and more developed stock comes at a higher price. However, if you look around enough, good material can be sourced from many different places, sometimes at little to no cost. Neighbours clearing out gardens are an excellent source of unwanted and usually quite established shrubs and trees, the so called "garden yamadori". Also commercial building work can throw up certain opportunities, whereby they may be clearing some land to build something new on it, and you can ask to remove any trees which may be there already for them.

All in all, I feel I can now start from a new point in my hobby, and cease buying unsuitable material, and look out for more suitable stuff.

No comments: