Tuesday 2 November 2010

Wood work #1

In April of this year I decided that the scattering of trees around the yard would benefit from a bit of organisation, in the form of a dedicated display bench. Now not being any kind of craftsman, I thought my first project would be better to be a recycling job. So I acquired a sorry looking indoor table which had been left outside for some time and suffered. I planned roughly what I wanted the finished bench to look like and and begun to take the table apart. My plan was to use only the wood which currently constituted the table, but I ended up using a couple of extra offcuts which were also lying around.

Here is how the table looked before hand, as you can see, in a bit of a poor state, and would benefit from a revamp.



So I begun to take the table apart to see how much wood I had to play with. Once this was done I then started to piece it back together in the design I had in mind. From the outset I had envisaged a two-tier arrangement, with the top tier set back from the lower, also with space underneath the top tier for some possible protective space for small trees. Now the bench was always going to be of modest proportions due to the amount of wood I had available, but as my current collection wasn't huge this suited it fine.

So here is the bench after much tinkering, I was pleased with the end result and all it needed was a coat of exterior stain to seal the wood and protect it against the elements.


No comments: